Monday 6 February 2006

"I'm Sorry" - Brenda Lee, 1960

Sorry for being a little quiet of late. I've had an unusually long run of training, all away from home, almost immediately since we got back from our wedding trip to the States. Tomorrow will be my first day back in the Oxford office since just before Christmas! Incredible schedule...but I certainly can't ever say that I'm bored, can I?

I'm a little under-the-weather, too, but probably nothing that a little TLC can't cure.

Today's subject title comes from an apology we've just seen on TV. I've hesitated to write about the furor caused that the anti-Islamic cartoons recently run in some European newspapers. The resulting reaction from more extreme members of the worldwide Islamic community has been alarming to say the least...but then so is the current run-in between Iran and the UN, but that's for another blog entry.

One of the most upsetting things about a protest held in London recently was that one of the young male protestors was costumed like a terrorist bomber. That would have been awful enough under the best of circumstances. But given last July's suicide bombings in London, it was an incredibly insensitive and inflammatory way to have protested.

But today, the man publicly apologized for his behavior, and it has been widely covered in the press today. Good for him.

At least that's one step in the right direction.

Janet

1 Comments:

At 06 February, 2006 22:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! Some folks will use any excuse to cause vandalism. I agree the cartoon in question was offensive and most likely should not have been published but it is no excuse for thug like actions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home