Thursday 10 August 2006

"Critical Journey" - Signs and Wonders, 2005

I'm supposed to be headed for Cape Town, South Africa tomorrow night. I wonder whether or not I'll get there...and if so, when.

British police have foiled a plot to blow up planes departing UK airports. You can read about it here on the BBC News website.

The terror level has been raised to "Critical" here in the UK.

Thank God the authorities stopped this group of terrorists...at least it appears they've blocked their plans.

No hand luggage will be allowed, on flights leaving the UK or arriving in the UK, for the next few days...well, I guess until further notice. As of this morning, only the following items will be allowed onto the plane with passengers, and these will be placed in a see-through plastic bag:

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)

Pocket sized wallets and pocket sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

Contact lenses, without bottles of solution.

For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.

Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer’s hold luggage. For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, iPods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

+++++++

As I am flying tomorrow to Cape Town to run training courses all next week, I would have taken a laptop and LCD projector (and all of the associated "bits") in a carry-on bag. And, especially for a 12+ hour flight, I certainly would have had my iPod and a good book with me. Those will now be out.

At least I wasn't planning to travel with a youngster. Imagine the complications of no snacks and toys for those traveling with a child!

According to the US Department of Homeland Security's website, the terrorist threat level remains at "Elevated"in the States...at least as of the time of this blog entry.

I'll try to keep everybody posted what happens next. Hopefully I'll post a Lord Celery item or two from Cape Town, starting over the weekend.


Janet

6 Comments:

At 10 August, 2006 15:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may be overkill but personally I think people have abused the carry on luggage privilege and limiting the carry on as they now have is better and safer for all in the long run.

 
At 10 August, 2006 17:03 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This world is crazy; awful that all of these precautions are necessary. I'm flying to LA in a few weeks, have been listening to warnings about arriving earlier (yet!)

I'm flying out of Indianapolis, which is not on daylight savings, so it's an hour later there anyway. To make an 8:30 a.m flight, arriving 2 hours early for security precautions, I'm going to have to leave my house at 3:30 in the morning. Whee.

 
At 10 August, 2006 17:03 , Blogger Vikki L. Jeanne Cleveland said...

That old cliche *better safe than sorry* holds true in these troubled times. I am not a flyer unless I am forced to fly by the necessity of a situation. I am not afraid of flying ~ the potential for *falling* is what scares me, and I'm rather claustrophobic, too ~ situations *NOT* conducive to pleasant air travel. As I was reading news stories about the high alerts this morning, my sympathies were with those who do have to fly during this week ~ and now I find that one of my friends is caught in the security crack-down. Good luck, Janet! I hope the airlines will plan to have snacks and extra beverages on board for those who couldn't carry these items on? Will there be in-flight movies? Your flight will be a *LONG* one, old friend.

 
At 11 August, 2006 03:09 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Wow! You get to go to some GREAT places for your job! Lucky you! Here's hoping the trip goes smoothly. I travelled to NYC just a month after 9-11 and found that things went more smoothly than normal since everyone was extra vigilant. Here's hoping you have the same experience.

 
At 11 August, 2006 17:02 , Blogger A Novelist said...

It is a very sad world we live in. I guess we are going to have to get used to this. :(

Have a very safe flight, stay safe and keep us posted of your travels! :)

 
At 12 August, 2006 21:27 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

I hope you are there now safe and sound, Janet and that all went well with your flight. You can, of course, still buy a book once you are through the security check area (well that's what I've been reading) so its not all bad. Well, for a man its not so bad, ha ha.. What gets me though is the fact that a few baggage handlers will be thinking: Ah! there are many electronic items in just about every bag now so easy pickings! I DO HOPE NOT. Let's hope that SECURITY is looking out for such problems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home