Thursday 3 August 2006

"Uncool" - Derailers, 2003

OK...here's a follow-up to yesterday's post about "Guilty Pleasures".

I found a news article this morning about "Q" magazine's poll of the "least cool record it is okay to love".

Here are excerpts from the article:

*************
ELO are top of a new poll to find the least cool record it is okay to love.

Their 1976 hit 'Livin' Thing' beat singles like S Club 7's 'Don't Stop Moving' and Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive' to the top spot.

The top ten in full:

1. ELO - 'Livin' Thing'
2. Boston - 'More Than A Feeling'
3. S Club 7 - 'Don't Stop Movin''
4. 10cc - 'I'm Not In Love'
5. Gary Glitter - 'Rock'n'Roll Part 2'
6. Foreigner - 'Cold As Ice'
7. Billy Idol - 'Rebel Yell'
8. Status Quo - 'Whatever You Want'
9. Gerry Rafferty - 'Baker Street'
10. Gloria Gaynor - 'I Will Survive'


*************

Now, Lord Celery's American readers may not know #'s 3 and 8. I certainly didn't know anything about the band S Club 7 until moving to Britain, and I'd barely heard of Status Quo.

Anybody who read my item yesterday can guess that #10 is already in my list of "Guilty Pleasures"...along with a bunch of other goofy disco hits.

But I'm baffled by #'s 1, 4 and 9 being on this "uncool" list! What's wrong with ELO, 10cc, and especially Gerry Raffery's "Baker Street"? The latter has one of the coolest sax solos in music!

Janet

Listening to: Fatboy Slim, "The Greatest Hits"

5 Comments:

At 03 August, 2006 11:28 , Blogger The very nice man said...

Oh boy, oh boy!! Now you've done it! I actually OWN No. 1, 4 and 9 and for me Gerry Rafferty is about the coolest singer around. His album 'On a wing and a prayer' is an absolute must!!
Just look at a couple of lyric lines on the track 'Don't speak of my heart', which goes:

"Whenever we talk she says hang on -- just hang on
Meanwhile I’m drowning in the pouring rain"

I wish I had written that line.

But then, what do I know? I started collecting Bee Gees records in the early 70s and they were fround upon by the rock dudes!

I guess I am just an old softy who loves tuneful melodies and heart-breaking lyrics.

P.S.: Your posts are getting better by the day, Janet!

 
At 03 August, 2006 13:55 , Blogger Janet said...

Very Nice Man: You're making me think of the line I wish *I'd* written...but my fellow Oklahoman Jimmy Webb DID, in "Wichita Lineman"...

..."And I need you more than want you...and I want you for all time..."

Thanks for the comments!

Janet

 
At 03 August, 2006 15:57 , Blogger lynneguist said...

>>The latter has one of the coolest sax solos in music!

Ah, but sax solos (and jazz in general) are deeply uncool in the UK pop music scene--as evidenced by the constant mocking of jazz aficionado Howard Moon on The Mighty Boosh.

 
At 03 August, 2006 18:06 , Blogger A Novelist said...

I LOVE 10cc's "I'm Not In Love." It reminds me of being young and happy, living a carefree life. And yes, "Baker Street" has a great sax solo! :)

 
At 03 August, 2006 22:31 , Blogger Vikki L. Jeanne Cleveland said...

Good grief, Janet ~ you're peeking into my iTunes library again. However, I surely didn't know that I was so uncool. :) *I'm Not in Love* and *Baker Street* are on my *favorites* list in my library, BTW. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home