Tuesday 1 August 2006

"My Little Town" - Paul Simon, 1975

Today, I want to highlight a new blog that I've linked in my "Family & Friends" section. And I'm using Paul Simon's great mid-70's hit, because that song has always made me think of the little town I lived in from my junior high days through my first year of college.

That little town is Salem, Illinois.

I have a couple of Salem links way down on the right-hand side of the main page of Lord Celery. It's a great little place.

While in Seattle last week (or maybe just before we left...my brain is still so fuzzy this morning...), I got a note from my long-time friend Vikki Cleveland. Vikki has always been a prolific writer. She's finally started her own blog. And I'm delighted by the news.

My father's job with one of the pipeline divisions of Texaco sent our family the 500 miles northeast from Tulsa, Oklahoma up to Salem in the early 60's. It was a really tough move for me...leaving lots of family and friends...leaving everything I'd ever known up until then. Vikki and I became buddies almost from the beginning of my time in Salem, and we've managed to stay in touch almost continually ever since.

So, I wanted all of you to notice the new link to...
From the Pen of Vikki Lyn

Vikki, I'm so very sorry it's been so long since I've gotten to see you!

Thank goodness Al Gore invented the internet, huh?

;-)

Janet

4 Comments:

At 01 August, 2006 11:13 , Blogger The very nice man said...

Slow down, girl!! I can't keep up with all your posts, heehee!!
Have added your blog to my site, too! Blessings (and greetings to your hubby)!!
Erik

 
At 02 August, 2006 03:26 , Blogger Vikki L. Jeanne Cleveland said...

Thanks for the PR, Janet. :) We did have some fun, didn't we? I still think of your and your blue bug every time I crest the overpass in Odin. :) Remember when we were at a Young Democrats fish fry, and we reported a weird old man to Vera Salisbury ~ a weird old man that turned out to be a state senator??? :) Lots of *remember when's,* old friend! :)

 
At 03 August, 2006 09:25 , Blogger Janet said...

Hey Vikki,

I'd completely forgotten that story from the fish fry...about the Illinois State Senator! HA HA HA!

I always think of you when I hear ANYTHING about Johnny Bench!

Janet

 
At 03 August, 2006 22:34 , Blogger Vikki L. Jeanne Cleveland said...

Unfortunately Johnny Bench turned out to be a jerk after he was elected to the Hall of Fame. However, as always, Sandy Koufax remains a *true* gentleman. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home