Tuesday 15 August 2006

"Reunited" - Peaches and Herb, 1979

Hello from Cape Town!

About 5:30pm yesterday, I got a knock at the door of my hotel room here in Cape Town. It was a porter with…


MY LUGGAGE!!!!! I just can't believe it!

Everything is fine…although one of the pieces had obviously gotten very wet somewhere along the way. According to British Airways’ website, they were delivered to Cape Town on the flight from Heathrow on Sunday night, which got into the airport here on Monday morning.

According to the BBC today, BA admit that at least 10,000 pieces of baggage have been “lost” since the additional security measures were undertaken last Thursday. And they claim that so far about 5000 of those have been reunited with their owners…mine being two of them.

I’m using a wireless connection in the lobby of the hotel, so I don’t have much time. But I thought I’d post a few photos taken from my room…the first from the window of the kitchen (it’s a “suite” hotel) and the other three from the balcony off the living room. It’s just beautiful, as you’ll see.


(Click on each image for a full-sized version.)









I’m fairly sure that I won’t post a Lord Celery item again until I get back to the UK over the weekend. OH....and let me post a couple of photos I took at Heathrow airport last Friday afternoon, during my chaotic check-in...





I'm sorry that the headline of the story on the newspaper above isn't visible. But you can see that the man sitting down on the roof of the Heathrow parking garage is reading about the thwarted terrorist attack.

Sorry about the poor quality of the two photos above. They were taken with my mobile phone...before I had to stow it in my checked luggage, of course!

I hope all of you are doing well. I’ll catch up with my favorite blogs when I’m back in Britain.

Take care of yourselves...and I DO hope none of you have to fly in the near future!

Janet

3 Comments:

At 15 August, 2006 22:46 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

Great to read your Blog Janet and find that your luggage has found you again. I did say that this would be a big problem. Why don't the people "in charge" not put plans in place to search baggage handlers before they go off shift? If I could see that it was going to happen surly they must have realised too! Hey, I also enjoyed seeing your photos of Cape Town. I would love to visit there. You are so lucky although I know its not the same whem you have to work, right? Best regards, Iain

 
At 16 August, 2006 03:44 , Blogger Vikki L. Jeanne Cleveland said...

I'm relieved to hear that you and your luggage have been reunited, Janet! I hope you all can make the trip home *together* with no further problems. Too bad your bags can't post their own travelogue to your blog, huh? :) Thanks for the photos ~ I can travel vicariously through you! :)

 
At 16 August, 2006 10:22 , Blogger Monique said...

glad you made it ok & you finally got your bags!!!
Ahhh I LOVE Cape Town - I hope you have a great time (even though you're there for work)
:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home