Thursday 23 November 2006

"(It's Just) Another Day" - Paul McCartney, 1971

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends, family, and blogger buddies in America!

"It's just another day." That snippet of lyric is courtesy of Sir Paul.

Why today's subject song title? Because it's the song that was going through my head during my morning commute into Oxford this morning. Apart from John's early-morning greeting and the same from my friend Cindy during our commute, it's just "another day" here in the UK.

Thanksgiving remains my favorite holiday of all time. This is my 4th Thanksgiving Day spent in England, I always feel a little low. I just can't help feeling homesick.

John's coming into Oxford later this morning to take me to lunch. And he's making my dinner tonight when I get home to the North Oxfordshire countryside. (I'll try to post a photo of our dinner tonight, as a "PS" to this message.) And it's a beautiful day here.

But it still doesn't feel right, somehow.

I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself, though. Walking through the city centre of Oxford this morning, I saw this sad sight in front of the Oxfordshire County Courthouse (near our office)...



Somebody was "sleeping rough", as they call it here.

I have a lovely home. I'll have more than enough to eat today. And when I'm in the arms of the man I love, I am "home".

What am I complaining about...? I have so much to be thankful for. And that's what Thanksgiving Day is all about.

Janet

5 Comments:

At 23 November, 2006 09:53 , Blogger The very nice man said...

I agree! We, too, have to thank the Lord for all his goodness!!
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Erik

 
At 23 November, 2006 14:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An over abundance of blessings! Will you be having turkey with the traditional fixin's?

 
At 23 November, 2006 16:14 , Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I have been moping that this would be the first turkey day without my son, but he borrowed a car and made the trip.

So, Army boots under the coffee table is what I'm thankful for!

Have a great dinner tonight! Can't wait to see the pix!

 
At 23 November, 2006 16:58 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

A good reminder for ALL of us.

 
At 07 December, 2006 20:40 , Blogger Christopher T. George said...

Hi Janet

Sorry you were feeling low on Thanksgiving Day. I always think of Thanksgiving as being a more "genuine" family holiday, in a sense, than Christmas which is so over-commercialized here in the U.S., and getting that way I gather elsewhere in the world. Thanksgiving has no "side" to it and is what it is, a wholesome and worthy family celebration.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home