Sunday 15 October 2006

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" - Platters, 1958

I arrived in Singapore again last night -- only 13 days after I was stamped in by Singapore Immigration last time. That's a new record for me.

I've done a little window-shopping today but have mostly rested and gotten ready for this week's courses. The air quality here is again dreadful. Fires from Indonesia have created the most horrid smog, and I think the odor of smoke in the air is much worse than it was only a few weeks ago. A preview of tonight's news suggests it's going to get worse before it gets better. At least I'm teaching here in the hotel and don't need to spend much time outdoors.

I'll post a snapshot, taken this afternoon from my room, on the 26th floor of the Singapore Marriott. I think you'll get an idea how poor the air quality is at the moment...


(Click on the photo for a full-sized image.)

More as I can...goodnight from Singapore!

Janet

5 Comments:

At 15 October, 2006 15:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had some great meals in Singapore including an appetizer of deep fried scorpion. You should try it!

 
At 15 October, 2006 18:56 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

Wishing you well, there all alone in Singapore, Janet. I know what its like there being on your own as I used to have to wait there for 2 days every 2 months for my Indonesian work visa. TOTAL have an office there at 22nd floor of Odeon Towers next to the Carlton Hotel at 76 Bras Basah Road.

 
At 16 October, 2006 03:09 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Icky.

Does your husband recognize you when you finally get home from all this travelling? :-)

 
At 19 October, 2006 13:41 , Blogger Janet said...

Thanks for the comments!

Chris -- Haven't yet had the fried scorpions yet...but I'll keep my eyes open for them!

MB Kid -- I thought I remembered you spent time here. I'll bet you know the city well.

Heather -- I HOPE John will still recognize me. This is the worst travel schedule I've had since I took this job almost 4 years ago. Hopefully, this will be the last long-haul trip for the year.

Janet

 
At 27 October, 2006 05:54 , Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

very cool photos. I hope to travel to Singapore one day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home