Monday 4 September 2006

"Scarborough Fair" - Simon and Garfunkel, 1966

No...it's not actually "Scarborough Fair"...it's Oxford's famous St. Giles Fair!

The fair has a very long history. Take a look here for the story of the fair at St. Giles.

I took some photos this afternoon, using my mobile phone (that's why the quality isn't so great), before heading for the makeshift bus stop on Broad Street. I hope you enjoy some of the contrasts between the historic city of Oxford and the flashy fair! Also, note some of the names on food stalls...funny to American eyes, aren't they?

You can click on each photo for a full-sized version.




Yes...you observed correctly...almost everything on offer at the fair can be served with "chips"!!!

Finally, contrast the snapshots I took today with a great old postcard of the St Giles Fair from 1909...


Janet

3 Comments:

At 05 September, 2006 03:03 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

What fun! I love a good fair. Wish I'd been there. :-)

 
At 05 September, 2006 03:50 , Blogger Wendy said...

Looks fun! Thanks for taking me along for the day!

 
At 05 September, 2006 10:16 , Blogger The very nice man said...

Why didn't I know about this happening??
I really must pay more attention to things happening in my area!
Thanks for the pictures, Janet!
E.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home