Sunday 3 September 2006

"Miscellany" - Drunk, 1999

I'm finally feeling better, so let me catch up a little this evening, before I head back into the office tomorrow morning.

Last week, I missed out on writing about a couple of important events...both occurring on the 31st of August, by the way.

Last Thursday was the 9th anniversary of the tragic death of Princess Diana. I was actually in the UK visiting John at that time. In fact, the morning it was confirmed she was dead, John and I were headed north (in his beloved little Nissan Micra) for my first-ever trip to Scotland. We spent the next week touring that beautiful country, driving as far north as Inverness. I'll never forget the floral tributes to Diana in every single community we went through, even the tiniest village. And larger towns usually had a book of condolence located somewhere -- often just inside a supermarket -- for ordinary people to sign. And we drove back down to England on the day of her funeral. I'll never forget driving through an almost-deserted suburb of Glasgow, listening to the audio of the funeral on John's car radio. It was a surreal experience.

And was everybody aware that that same day -- the 31st of August -- was International Blog Day? Last week, BBC Radio Five, through one of their own blogs, asked Five Live's listeners for blog recommendations. If you care to look here (within the "Comments" section), you'll see that I responded with comments about 5 of my own favorite blogs. PLEASE don't be offended if I didn't choose yours. I picked blogs which I thought might have particular interest to UK readers.

I'll try very hard to get back into a writing routine again next week.

And to all of my American readers, have a wonderful Labor Day tomorrow!

Janet

5 Comments:

At 04 September, 2006 15:29 , Blogger The very nice man said...

WOT???? YOU DID NOT MENTION MY BLOG??
Only joking!
Yes, Diana's death is a bit like "Where were you when Kennedy died", isn't it?!
I can't believe that so many years have already passed since then!!
Carpe diem!!

 
At 04 September, 2006 19:52 , Blogger Barry said...

I am humbled

 
At 05 September, 2006 03:07 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yup, I remember exactly where I was when I heard about Diana too. Rather surreal, especially since I'm half a world away.

 
At 05 September, 2006 17:47 , Blogger lynneguist said...

Janet--you are too kind, plugging my blog like that. If you're ever down this way (or I'm up your way), I must buy you a drink!

 
At 05 September, 2006 17:48 , Blogger lynneguist said...

Janet--you are too kind, plugging my blog like that. If you're ever down this way (or I'm up your way), I must buy you a drink!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home