Monday 9 October 2006

"Around the World" - Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1999

I'm back in the UK...temporarily. Sorry for not posting more than once during my recent 2-week trip. I tried to post photos from Singapore several times but couldn't get Blogger's photo posting software to work. And I have to admit that I was too tired -- and short on time -- to try very hard.

I got back to the UK from Singapore last Friday morning, after a 13+ hour direct flight from Changi Airport to Heathrow. And I spent almost all of the weekend sleeping, as I came back from the trip exhausted.

I had an amazing revelation over the weekend, though, in between dozes.

Within a two-week period, I had actually circled the globe!

Now I've had some extensive business trips in my time. I've gone back and forth between the US and Asia. I've flown from London to Calgary to Caracas back to London. But what I just completed is a first for me.

On Monday the 25th of September, I left London's Heathrow Airport and flew west to Calgary. Beginning at lunchtime on Saturday the 30th (but continuing through the entire weekend), I left Calgary and flew west to Vancouver, then to Hong Kong, and finally to Singapore. I got to my Singapore hotel around 1am on Monday the 2nd of October. And then last Thursday night (the 5th), I flew west from Singapore back to London Heathrow. I circled the globe!

I wish I could determine how many miles I've just flown. I'll bet I can once all of the airmiles have been posted to my Air Canada and British Airways accounts.

(Note: Since originally posting this blog entry, I have actually calculated the mileage for the entire trip: 19,493 miles, according to my two airline mileage statements!)

And would you like to hear the best part? Well, this Friday, I head back to Singapore to teach there again Monday through Friday of next week!

I still owe Lord Celery's readers some photos, and I'll see what I can do about that in the coming days.

Janet

2 Comments:

At 09 October, 2006 15:13 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having made a similar circle the globe trip back in 2000 I fully understand how tired you must have been upon arriving home. Glad to have you back albeit for a short time.

 
At 10 October, 2006 02:25 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

Wow! Kinda beats my little jaunt to Toronto! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home