Tuesday 21 November 2006

"Janet Says" - Jerry Jeff Walker, 1969


Do any of Lord Celery's readers still own any "Janet and John" books from their childhood?

The names "Janet" and "John" together generate the same amused look in the UK as a couple named "Dick and Jane" would in the States.

Poor John! It's incredible he even became my friend back in 1995, given the remote possibility of our eventually becoming a couple!

The old-style Janet and John books have been updated for UK schools, so their legacy continues. Terry Wogan, a very popular DJ (and TV presenter also) on BBC Radio 2's breakfast-time show has recently been reading a new series of Janet and John stories on the radio. CDs of the stories are being sold to benefit the UK charity "Children In Need", which is a great cause.

I discovered last night that quite a few of the new Janet and John stories are posted on the web. Take a look and have a good chuckle. And for my American friends, let me know if you need anything translated into US English!

By the way, here's what the new Janet and John look like in British textbooks...


The only thing I have in common with the new "Janet" (besides being female, of course) is the enormous feet! I'll allow John to provide his own comments on any comparisons between himself and the new "John"!

Janet

3 Comments:

At 21 November, 2006 17:34 , Blogger Gattina said...

Of course I don't know this book, as I started with Shakespeare at school of course (lol)
Before reading children books I had first to learn I am you are etc. But I have noticed that children books are more or less all the same in all languages only the names change. When I had to read children books in french to my son (his "mother" tongue is french) I found the same stories as I had red in german. You could translate into German-English lol !

 
At 22 November, 2006 04:13 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

We had neither Janet and John nor Dick and Jane. We had Mr. Mugs (a big hairy sheepdog) and Pat and... I can't remember the girl's name.

 
At 24 November, 2006 21:22 , Blogger lynneguist said...

Hi Janet--

Thanks for this amusement (and for your recent visit to my blog--I'd missed those! :) )

I went to Catholic school, so we got a different set of children, rather than Dick and Jane. I can't remember their names, though. According to Wikipedia, they were John, Judy and Jean, but that doesn't sound familiar...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home