Monday 5 March 2007

"She's the One" - World Party, 1997



OK...I admit it...I love singing competition programs on TV. And I especially enjoy "American Idol". We see it here on ITV in the UK, only a few days after the shows air in the States.

After last week's performances, I'm already making my call for this year's American Idol. Without question, it'll be Melinda Doolittle.

Her performance of "My Funny Valentine" literally sent chills up and down my spine. It was one of the most stunning renditions of a song I have ever heard! So not only does the woman have a fabulous voice, she has an incredible way with song interpretation as well.

I know very little about her, apart from the fact that's she's from Tennessee. Checking a few resources on the web, it appears she's been a background/session singer for some time now. It's time for you to step up into the spotlight, girl!

I'm on the lookout for an MP3 of her performance of "My Funny Valentine". It will instantly join the ranks of other all-time favorites on my iPod!

By the way, last year John and I picked out Taylor Hicks as our favorite from the moment he auditioned. This year, I didn't have any strong feelings during the audition stages...except perhaps a curiosity about Sundance Head . (Thanks to my friend Claudia, I've learned that Sundance is the son of singer Roy Head, who had a big US hit with his song "Treat Her Nice" back in 1965. Claudia tells me that Roy is still out there performing, too.) But last week's performance by Melinda has completely won me over, and I'm willing to call the 2007 winner right now.

Janet

2 Comments:

At 05 March, 2007 18:19 , Blogger Monica said...

I love the American Idol! I feel it's shameful, but I'm not willing to keep it a secret any longer. And I agree with you, Melinda was amazing!

 
At 19 July, 2008 16:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a wonderful news to share with the fans of Melinda Doolittle. She will released her first album in fall and working on Holiday Cd. We have new website to support Melinda's career come join us and participate on the forum. Will be so amazing because Melinda also post there and she read comment. She is a amazing singer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home