Thursday 31 May 2007

"Questions 67 and 68" - Chicago, 1969

After ordering it from the government printing office earlier this week, this came in today's mail...



(Click on either of the images for a full-sized version.)

It's the guidebook to the "Life in the UK" test that I'll have to pass before applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain here in the UK when I'm eligible late this year. Had I been able to make the application a few years ago, there wouldn't have been a test. Thanks to recent changes, though, I now have to be tested.

I had been under the impression (falsely) that I wouldn't have to take this test until/unless I was applying for British citizenship. But NOOOOO....I have to pass it before I can even apply for permanent residency. So that's why I quickly ordered the guidebook.

At least I can study on my own and with John's help, rather than having to attend classes. I'm assuming that I can prove competency with the English language at the testing centre in Cowley (eastern suburb of Oxford...where the Mini factory is located). At least I hope that's a correct assumption!

Here's a sample entry from the book...



And if you'd like to sample some of the test questions, you can do so here.

I'll keep you posted on this one. I hate tests....sigh!

Janet

6 Comments:

At 02 June, 2007 14:12 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck, Janet. You might find this website useful. It's got lots of independent information about the test - plus practice questions based on the book you've bought.

If you're taking the test before 2 July 2007 it might be worth taking the old version of the test. As there's much less to learn.

 
At 02 June, 2007 19:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! I got 5 out of 10! Not yet ready to take the test, sadly.

 
At 06 June, 2007 03:26 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband, who became a US citizen about 7 years ago had to take a similar test. However, he received a study book with the possible 100 questions and the answers. Most of it was very easy history and government questions. There was only one I, who grew up in America, didn't know right off.

However, when he was interviewed they asked him only two questions: "Who lives in the White House?" and "Who is the governor of Texas." Pretty easy.

We followed the link to your test and because I was stymied by all the health care question (who has health care in the US?), he came over to see if he could answer them. Then he got frustrated and wandered off. He doesn't think most UK natives could pass without studying first.

 
At 17 June, 2007 14:26 , Blogger Iain Cameron said...

I cannot believe that all the illegal immigrants who are now with us in the UK ever, ever take a test AND they get money from us too if they don't work! Seems very unfair that you have to take a test.

 
At 07 January, 2009 13:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Janet,
I passed the test in my first attempt and I practised a lot and used some free resources like
http://www.liuktest.co.uk
Try its free.
Thanks

 
At 07 January, 2009 13:40 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant website

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home