Thursday 19 July 2007

"Fixing a Hole" - Beatles, 1967

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the news today about the steam pipe explosion in Manhattan -- except that rather than the hole Paul wrote about "where the rain gets in", it was a hole where the steam bellowed out!

Sadly, one person has been killed during yesterday's explosion on Lexington Avenue, near Grand Central Station. That's my old "stomping ground" in Manhattan. I know those streets well. And I can only imagine the terror felt by the people who saw and heard what happened during yesterday's evening commuting hours. I'm sure they were horrified that it was another act of terrorism.

Who among us haven't felt a certain amount of discomfort watching steam bellow from the streets of New York? I'm never quite sure what the source of some of the visible stream is, but maybe this article will help you as much as it has helped me.

Janet

2 Comments:

At 20 July, 2007 15:05 , Blogger Gavin Lloyd Wilson said...

Hi Janet,

Our hotel last Saturday/Sunday was The Alex, literally just down the road from this.

Gavin

 
At 23 July, 2007 17:42 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of disasters--are you dry?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home