Friday 29 August 2008

"A Question of Priorities" - Conflict, 1993

I love to eavesdrop, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's always been fun to overhear conversations while on public transportation. But I think I enjoy it even more since moving to England - although, to be fair, I sometimes struggle to understand young-Britspeak!

Yesterday, after work, I got one of the last available aisle seats on the 4:20pm park and ride bus from Oxford. As has been happening a lot lately, more and more people kept crowding on. With school still out for the summer break, there are lots of visitors to Oxford. Selfishly, I wish they'd come in and out of the city when we tired commuters weren't! But that's another blogging topic.

So standing right next to me on the bus were two early-20-something women. I was so curious to overhear their conversation that I turned off my iPod (but left the earbuds in my ears, as a way of disguising my curiosity). They had several shopping bags each, and they were chattering away about this and that.

Then they began excitedly talking about the new flat that they are moving into next week. They were also complaining about how "skint" (meaning broke, to my American readers) they both are, meaning that they can't buy many new things for their flat.

But here's what I enjoyed the most. One of the two young women kept talking about her financial situation. She said that she really wants three things and has been saving her money for them. The three things were - a car, a new laptop, and hair extensions. But she told her friend that she couldn't do all three. So she'd been thinking a lot about her life priorities. It wasn't an easy decision, she said to her friend.

What did she decide to do with her money?

She's getting the hair extensions!

Janet

Read all about what I'm listening to at Auditory Cortex.

7 Comments:

At 29 August, 2008 10:50 , Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Oh yeah! She's got her priorities straight!

Liked the part about you turning off your iPod - I bet I'd do that too on public transit.

Have a sunshiney day!

 
At 29 August, 2008 11:06 , Blogger Janet said...

Jannie Sue, I'm looking forward to having the ability to put comments on your blog. I've just linked to you here - hope you don't mind!

I always enjoy your interesting comments! Thanks.

Janet

 
At 29 August, 2008 14:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i love this. i do this all the time myself. my husband makes fun of how i can sit at a table and hear the details of every conversation around us. i call it mutli-listening.

now wait, do hair extensions cost as much as a car?!

 
At 01 September, 2008 12:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, to be 20-something! I love listening, too...and try to complete the story, history...

this is such a fun post! Keep reporting!

 
At 02 September, 2008 00:37 , Blogger Jodie said...

Oh, to be 20 again and just moving into your first place. Great memories of that first apartment. I love to listen to conversations too & I leave my ipod plugs in also.

 
At 07 September, 2008 18:41 , Blogger Chris Hale said...

I love overheard conversations! Heard in Ikea furniture store yesterday:

Dad to small son: "John, do you want to sit in your pushchair? (ie stroller) No? Well then walk faster!

What I find odd is that people using their mobiles seem to think their conversation is private. I overheard one female discussing the fact that her boyfriend was looking at a long prison sentence whilst she was supermarket shopping.

 
At 08 September, 2008 10:09 , Blogger Debby said...

Oh, it's good to have your priorities straight. Ms. 20 could have been one of those pathetic creatures with no money and a fine looking tattoo, or manicured claws. She's not. All because she has her priorities straight!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home