Thursday 4 September 2008

"Borderline" - Madonna, 1983

I've heard something in the British press that's almost too bizarre to be true. Which means it probably is true.

It is being reported over here that soon after Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was announced as McCain's choice for his running mate, concerns about her lack of foreign policy experience emerged. And supposedly some Republican party spokesperson explained to the press that the fact that Alaska and Russia share a border gives Governor Palin foreign policy credentials!

(Is that technically true about their sharing a border, by the way - considering the existence of the Bering Sea? Update - John tells me that they do indeed share a border...the border being in the Bering Sea. It's that line on my map, I'll bet. Duh...!)

I wonder what Medvedev/Putin would have to say about that?

Janet

Go see what I've been listening to at Auditory Cortex.

6 Comments:

At 04 September, 2008 15:41 , Blogger Heather Plett said...

What about the fact that they share a border with CANADA?! Sheesh!

Yeah, I heard the same quote in the Canadian media, so it must be true. Our journalists NEVER lie ;-) (Incidentally, an article I was interviewed for just came out saying that I was in Bangladesh "helping distribute rice to victims of Cyclone Sidr". Seeing as how the only rice I ever touched went directly into my stomach, I'm not sure where they got that idea from.)

 
At 04 September, 2008 19:45 , Blogger Janet said...

Heather, you are SO right!!!!

We thought of you this evening, as we watched the BBC news.

They briefly interviewed one of the Republican convention delegates after Palin's speech. This woman said - and I think I'm quoting pretty accurately here - "Well, Alaska has borders with BOTH Russia and Canada, so don't tell ME she doesn't understand international politics!"

;-)

Janet

 
At 05 September, 2008 03:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes it's true and unbelievable!!

Btw Borderline is my all time fave Madge record :-)

 
At 05 September, 2008 08:40 , Blogger Janet said...

Sarah, it has always been mine as well. It's the first Madonna song I ever heard, and I absolutely love it. I've been waiting for an opportunity to use it as a blog title.

Janet

 
At 05 September, 2008 09:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

Her foreign policy experience reminds me that I live next door to a church--so I must be the Pope!

 
At 05 September, 2008 11:24 , Blogger Gavin Lloyd Wilson said...

Reminds me of skimmed milk, which as everyone knows is just water that a cow has walked past.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home